Image Map

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Oreo Cheesecake Truffles


I’m back!!!

Well I hope I can keep up with this; there’s some big changes be made in my life in the next couple weeks but these changes give me much more free time and I hope that will correlate to baking more and cooking more. Tomorrow marks the last week of work for me at the company I got hired at before even finishing college. After Friday, I’ll have another week off before starting my new job that is much closer to home. I never thought I’d find a job that lets me do what I love in the travel industry, working in retail air reservations, and be able to work 9-5:30, Monday-Friday; that’s almost unheard of in the travel/hospitality industry. But I guess that’s enough about what my life is looking like right about now, onto the those treats shown in the photo above.

I spent the last week back at my parents house just relaxing and not doing much, a great change of pace compared to the last couple months. It gave me a chance to cook for my parents and try some baking. Hence this post on my first attempt at making Oreo Cheesecake Truffles. I’m still not used to actually documenting my work via photograph so please bare with me while I work on that aspect of this blog. 

Follow the jump for the recipe and pictures :)



Ingredients

1 (18 ounce) package of Oreo cookies
8 ounces (1 package) of cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups (1 bag) of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

1) Crush the Oreos (you want to crush pretty much the entire package of Oreos, but if you’ve eaten a handful of cookies don’t worry it won’t cause an issue) until they are finely crumbled. You want to make sure you use the entire cookie, cream center and all. I placed the cookies in a bag and crushed with a large glass since I didn’t have a rolling pin. Do whatever means necessary to crush the cookies, go to town!

2) Transfer 3 cups of the crushed cookies crumbs to a bowl and add the room temperature cream cheese. Using a spoon, or in my instance my hand, press and mix the two ingredients until the cream cheese is completely mixed into the Oreo crumbs. You want to keep mixing until you have a soft, combined mixture. Using a small cookie scoop or your hands, you want to scoop/roll balls (2 tablespoons worth) of the mixture and place onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper. Once you have scooped out all of the filling, refrigerate the baking sheet for at least 30 minutes, or until firm.





3) Towards the end of the 30 minutes you can start working on the chocolate coating. In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and shortening in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth. To cover each Oreo ball, you will want to work one at a time, dip it into the melted chocolate (or in my case toss it into the bowl and swirl it around a bit), and then use a form to remove it from the chocolate, letting any excess drip off. Place the dipping truffle back on the wax paper-lined sheet. Repeat, will all the truffle balls; once you’ve finished covering each one, garnish with the left over Oreo crumble mix. Return the cookie sheet to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.



4) Serve the truffles or store in an airtight container in refrigerator; they will keep for up to 2 weeks. 



They are kind of super chocolatey but delicious! My dad pretty much ate most of them up before I return to Providence. 

Until next time my faithful readers! I hope those that have been stuck in this Polar Vortex for the last few weeks are staying warm!!



Stephanie 



No comments:

Post a Comment