Image Map

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

In August I decided I was going to make it my goal to perfect making cupcakes. I decided to start this challenge off with a bang and not go the simple route. I’d been scouring through Pinterest looking for the perfect recipe, something that I’ve never baked before but also something I’d actually eat and could feed upon my coworkers who have graciously agreed to be my guinea pigs for this challenge.

There a few things I would do differently the second time I make them. The peanut butter center came out a bit dry for me as did the chocolate cake part (this could be from overworking the batter which I tend to do sometimes and am trying to learn from). The recipe says it yields 24 cupcakes but I got only about 16 or so cupcakes out of it which could also amount to why I had soo much icing left over.

I found this recipe here.



Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Yields about 24 cupcakes

Ingredients Required

Filling

1 cup confectioner’s sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cupcake Batter

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershy’s cocoa)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I used salted butter so I omitted this)
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (I used salted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs

Frosting

8 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed


Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line two cupcake pans with paper lines

2) To make the filling, combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 24) and set aside on a baking sheet. (mine were a little larger than that)


3) To make the cake batter, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl (again I omitted the salt); whisk together and set aside. In a liquid measure cup, still together the sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitter with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at time, scraping down the bowl as needed. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. 


4) Spoon a tablespoon or two of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake well and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled. Bake for 18-22 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.






5) To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine  the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth. Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and well blended. Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy. Frost cupcakes as desired.



                                          






Stephanie :)
Look out for my next post on the brand new Beauty Box I received in the mail today.

No comments:

Post a Comment